Through the application of professional purchasing principles and ethical practices, the Strategic Sourcing Specialist will be instrumental in new supplier sourcing, leading cost negotiations, managing supplier performance, initiating VE/CE activities, and developing market sourcing strategies. This position will be responsible for supporting the development and execution of sourcing strategies for key commodities within the business, in addition to the execution of category management, strategic sourcing, contracting and supplier management activities across assigned categories.
Purchasing / Strategic Sourcing Activity
- Support purchasing strategies to achieve Quality, Cost, and Delivery performance objectives to improve operational profitability.
- 5% YOY net productivity on assigned direct material spend.
- Partner with Procurement, Production, Engineering, Quality, and Product Management to support new product introductions.
- Identify and support the qualification of new suppliers as needed to support cost optimization, quality improvement, and supplier rationalization objectives.
- Establishment and implementation of new sourcing and supply chain initiatives, including KanBans, supplier inventory, supplier to production cell replenishment, e-auctions, and Supplier Portals.
- Establish strong relationships with key strategic vendors, and leverage fact based negotiation tactics to achieve cost targets.
- Keep abreast of industry trends and related market conditions to identify and mitigate supply risks. Conduct thorough market analysis in order to forecast and manage price trends.
- Prepare and send RFQ for sourcing projects; conduct bid analysis, negotiations, and contract/supplier development as needed.
- Initiate and lead Value Engineering / Component Engineering (VE/CE) activities to improve quality, service, and total costs.
- Gather detailed cost elements and perform in-depth price analysis to ensure the best purchase price, while achieving the highest quality and level of service.
- Identify stakeholders, establish key milestones, and develop project plans to successfully manage the qualification / certification process of production materials.
- Actively support all aspects of product development related to the evaluation / qualification of new purchased materials.
- Serve as a primary liaison between the company and select suppliers to establish, maintain, and enhance effective business relationships.
- Maintain supplier compliance with established quality, environmental, and customer specific requirements.
- Monitor performance and capabilities of suppliers, and ensure effective countermeasure plans are implemented to address any substandard performance.
- Must be capable of acquiring a functional knowledge of company products, along with the purpose and end use of assigned sourcing commodities.
- Support the Purchasing Department in setting and achieving department policy, KPI’s, and objectives.
- Manage supplier performance through supplier score cards, risk assessments, and vendor due diligence.
- Enhance the department value by providing a positive, professional image.
- Conduct business with other departments and suppliers in a timely, cooperative manner, promoting courtesy, objectivity, and fairness.
- Attend relevant meetings to ensure information sharing and fact finding necessary for successful change management.
- Travel to domestic and international locations in order to enhance relations, improve operations, or analyze and remedy supplier issues.
- Lead / Assist in supplier qualifications / certifications for production materials. Perform applicable supplier audits, verifying supplier capability utilizing tools such as Control Plans / Process Flow Charts / Other ISO tools.
- Enhance professional development by attending continuing education seminars and reading related publications.
Quality and Environmental Systems
- Understand Potters Quality Policy and be able to fully discuss how this position supports the company’s quality objectives.
- Know that all associates have the responsibility and authority to immediately inform supervision or management if another associate or department deviates from proper manufacturing practice.
- Recognize all associates have the ability to suspend production when product quality has become questionable.
- Be aware of the consequences that deviating from documented procedures/practice can have on product quality and market place acceptance.
THE NON-ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING:
- Perform routine clerical tasks such as keyboarding, processing purchase requirements and check requests, record retention/maintenance, and other related tasks.
- Support and assist the Purchasing team as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Purchasing, Operations Management, Supply Chain, or a related business area, and/or a minimum of 2-3 years' experience as a professional buyer in a manufacturing environment, or similar.
- CPSM (Certified Professional in Supply Management), CPM (Certified Purchasing Manager) or related sourcing professional certification desirable.
- Sourcing expertise in PCA’s, injection molded parts, or die cast parts preferred.
- Demonstrated expertise in Sourcing and supply chain tools, such as e-auctions, kanbans, VMI, project management.
- Functional knowledge of international and domestic purchasing methods and concepts.
- Experience in global sourcing, including working with suppliers in Asia, Mexico and Europe.
- Sourcing, negotiation, project management, supplier management, financial, and quantitative analysis skills.
- Experience working within a multi-cultural and multi-location environment.
- Mechanical/technical aptitude, including but not limited to, ability to read technical diagrams and drawings to determine product specifications.
- Able to work autonomously and make independent judgments relating to the quality and value of parts and products.
- Excellent verbal, written, and cross-cultural communication skills.
- Computer literate, emphasizing Microsoft Office Suite and Outlook. Ability to quickly learn and effectively use Potter software applications (Epicor, Tableau, IQR).
- Ability to travel independently to supplier locations and work extended ho
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $70,000.00 to $80,000.00 /year